Share This Article With a Friend

Translate

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

5 Things I Wish I was taught "How To Be" when I was a Teenager (to be Financially Better Off)!

Do you, or someone you know, have things you wish someone taught you "how to be" when you were a teenager, to be financially better off?  I do!
  

“If I knew then what I know now.” This has got to be the theme song for most adults, especially when it comes to finances.  There are hundreds of things that I wish I was told, taught or nagged about when I was a teenager.  But, here are my top 5 Things I wish I was taught “how to be” when I was a teenager, to be financially better off.
 
I wish I was taught how to be …
  
A Boss!
No, not Bossy, but A Boss of my own business. Instead of being encouraged to go to school so I can get a good job, I wish I was told and taught to go to school to learn how to make jobs. Or to go get a job to learn what it takes to run a business. Seriously, we are told what to do and what not to do when we are children, only to go to school to get a job for other adults to tell us what to do and what not to do when we become adults.  Seems like a set up to me now.  
  
So teens … go to school and get a job, NOT to just be an employee, but to learn how to become an entrepreneur. Besides, there are not that many jobs out there right now anyway. Create your own business and Be A Boss!
  
A Giver
The first principle of Prosperity is Giving! In order to reap a harvest, a seed must be sown.  Always remember, there is no room to receive in a closed fist.  Whether your giving is spiritually, morally or emotionally based, give gladly and on good ground. Giving is not always about money. Sometimes your old clothes, knowledge, or time may be just as, if not more, valuable.
  
So teens … learn the power and pleasure of giving early to a church, non-profit or worthy organization or individual. You’ll be surprised of the blessings you will receive because of your openness to give.
  
A Saver
Who knew that if I had saved only $100 per month when I got my first job at the age of 14 in a savings account with an interest rate of 0.50% until now (25 years), I would have saved over $32,000? And if I had saved $200 per month, it would be almost $65,000.  The point is, if I really understood the power of saving at a younger age when I could afford it, I would be able to afford almost anything I wanted when I got older.
  
So teens … Start Saving Sooner!!! The younger you are when you start saving, the more you will have when you really need it when you get older. Trust me on this one.
  
Financially Proactive
Enjoy today but Live for Tomorrow!  Tomorrow is your future. Live like you are going to be alive for a long time and you want to be financially comfortable for the rest of your life. True story … If I had planned for the things that I wanted “tomorrow” (in the future); I would not have borrowed money to get what I wanted “today” that I would have to be paid back “tomorrow” (in the future). Well, it’s tomorrow for me now and I’m still paying for what I borrowed “yesterday” (in the past).  My point is that using credit to get what you want right now will limit what you can afford tomorrow, when you really need it. It’s no fun not being able to afford to buy a home because you owe too much in credit card debt.  Credit is designed to be a leverage to help you acquire real “assets” (read Robert Kiyosaki’s book, Rich Dad Poor Dad) or to be an anchor and drown you deep in debt.
  
So teens … use credit wisely and do not use it until you are mature enough to handle its consequences (read my book, Financial Fornication).
 
Wealthy!
Not rich, but Wealthy! Rich is predicated on how much money you have, but Wealth is determined by how much you are able to do with the money you have. I’ve met hundreds of broke “rich” people, but I’ve never met a broke “wealthy” person.  Also, don’t believe the bling you see on TV! Nine times out of 10, the bling is borrowed! #IJS
 
So teens … follow my Financial Freedom Formula early and be wealthy for the rest of your life!
 


      
Those are my top 5 things I wish I was taught, but believe me there are more. Come to think of it, I was probably told to be a few of them, but I just didn't listen. Typical teenager.  ;-)
   
Best wishes on your journey to Financial Freedom!
   
Financially True,
   
Tarra Jackson, Making Money Sexy!

No comments:

Post a Comment